Thursday, March 31, 2011

My "10 Picture Tour"

In the last several weeks, I have been inspired by my friends Brian Barry (@Nunavut_Teacher) and his "A short conversation with..." series as well as Katie Hellerman (@theteachinggame) and her great post called "Getting what I want out of Twitter" in which she talks about establishing deeper relationships with our Personal Learning Networks.  Katie and Brian have encouraged all of us to find out a little bit more about each other and what makes us tick.  With my "10 Picture Tour", I hope for two things:  first, I hope that you will get to know a little bit more about my learning situation, and secondly, that you will reciprocate and use YOUR "10 Picture Tour" to let all of us know a bit more about your learning situation!  I promise, it will be painless...

5 Easy Steps How to make a "10 picture Tour"...
1) Use a cellphone camera, then you won't have to pack/find another electronic gizmo

2) Take 10 minutes. That's it.  Then you won't find a reason not to do it.  And it won't be too "staged".  And you won't take a 100 pictures and spend hours going through them (I took 14, and two of the ones I scrapped had my thumbs in them--new Blackberry--and the other two had refe

3) Take pictures around your school that you think showcase some pretty cool things.  They don't just have to be of kids learning, we believe you when you say they are...

4) Put them into a blog post with basic captions so we know what we are looking at.

5) Put it as a link on your blog page, so that when we come and visit, we know that when we see a link called "10 Picture Tour" we will learn a little bit about what your learning environment looks like.


So, without further ado, here is my attempt to give you a "10 Picture Tour" of South Kamloops.  Nothing glamorous, a bit old school (looks like the start of a "Wonder Years" episode), but it's US...

Overlooking the Titan Nation

March Birthdays at SKSS--hence the Shamrocks
I wonder what the Grads are thinking about....
Student artwork in the sunny Sagebrush Theatre

Titans in the news!

A Blue Banner, a Silver, and a Bronze at BCs two weeks ago--awesome.

Cool garbage can by the Auto Shop
 

21st Century Learning - Collaborative Groups using cellphones for research.

Proudly posting the results of our hard-working staff and students,

The German Classroom Door and a Socials Class Door painted by students


School Spirit--The SKSS Army!





And that is just a little bit about us in 10 pictures...hope to find out a bit about you!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I feel like I know you better already. I will post mine as soon as we are back from Spring Break. Thanks for inspiring us all and giving us a concrete way to share more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! Your school looks so colorful compared to mine. My kids must think they are in a prison of white! I am also on spring break but will post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking school, Cale.

    Love the Birthday bulletin board (I'm going to use that here at JO) and especially like the "We're not only getting close, we're getting better" board which takes your data off of the shelf and into the community's consciousness (another idea I'm going to borrow from you). The Hansel and Gretel would, of course, warm any German's heart :)

    I'm going to put together my 10 next week when I return from Spring Break. Won't be as colourful as yours but we do have a floor length mural to the "Gods of 70 Rock" which dates back to '75 (may induce you to bring out those old vinyl lp's).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'll take my 10 photos tomorrow and post them on mondaymollymusings.blogspot.com - on Tuesday, just to be a rebel! What I learned about your school is that, unlike many high schools I've seen, your displays are bright and current, and they celebrate and reflect what's going on at your school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Jordan right now and doing some volunteer work (besides other things) in a school near Mafraq, a city north of Amman.

    As part of one project I'm working on with Grade 7 students, I gave them cameras and asked them to capture images of their school to share with others.

    On the right side of the first table on this webpage http://lunchboxproject.wikispaces.com/Umm+Al_Naam++Al_Gharbia+Basic+Mixed+School you will find the student photographers' work. Just click on the photos to scroll through them.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I'll take my 10 on Monday when the school re-opens from Spring Break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Thank you for the great idea .... I did this on Friday and wanted to connect back to the blog that originally inspired me to say, thank you! Now to add the pictures to our staff blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your school is clean! And, it has auto shop.
    I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!